Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Achoo!



By William K. L. Dickson for the Edison laboratory [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons


Alrighty then, I've gone inactive haven't I? I've caught the flu or bad cold or something, which is ironic as this is a 'healthy living' blog. Well, sometimes it happens. But being sick has given me time to think about what I really want to do here, and that is to move the tarot talk to a whole other blog and let this one remain in its original intention.

So, since I'm sick I guess it's a good time talk about what I do to keep healthy, or how to get over a sickness should I unfortunately become straddled with one. First of all, I don't care what they say about not catching a cold from being cold. Rubbish. Almost every time that I've gotten sick, it's happened right after a cold snap, or maybe I had wet hair and went out without a hat on, scarf, etc. I think some of us have delicate immune systems and we should know where our weaknesses are. Mine is my throat. If my head/throat/chest is cold, I get sick. Maybe for other people it's their feet--a lot of heat is lost through the soles of your feet. Or maybe it's what we eat and drink. I do know that being dehydrated has a huge affect on my immunity. Water is so important! One of my favorite things to do if I feel like a cold is coming on, is to heat up a mug of water, squeeze some lemon into it, and sip it slowly so that it has a chance to work on my throat. I've gone from feeling under the weather to being back to normal with just one cup.

But as for herbs, last year I found out about astragalus. I buy it in capsule form from my local grocery store--I have a great one with an organic/health market along with all the regular foods. When I started taking astragalus a few things happened: my cystic acne cleared up, I lost a few pounds and . . . I stopped getting sick every few weeks in the winter. Oh, I also my migraines stopped coming around as often. However, there is a warning against this herb—it has blood-thinning properties, which is probably why my migraines slowed down, so you should check with your doctor before taking it if that concerns you. But for me, it's been a miracle herb.

Oil of oregano is a great choice if you feel something coming on and just want to 'nip' it in the bud. Personally, the strong flavor is way too much for me, so I take the capsules. Also, watch out for any stomach irritation it might cause, and do be aware that some people have had allergic reactions with a high dosage. But if you're worried about antibiotics, then definitely give oil of oregano a try.

This is funny, but my mother swears by these healthy remedies: siting next to a sunny window, and chicken soup. And you know what? I think she's right. Chicken soup has healing qualities, and sunlight offers a good dose of vitamin D-- a great addition to any healthy person's regimen. Also, don't forget that daily exercise is a great preventive to illness.

Lastly, it's always good to remember that sometimes we just get sick, and when we do, it isn't the end of the world. Use it as a time to rest, to watch a favorite movie, or read a new book. Being happy and rested is the best remedy of all!


No comments:

Post a Comment